Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Planning a Seminar? Be Sure to Centralized Your Registration Process

My financial planner’s assistant called to invite me to an exclusive event. I told her I would be happy to attend. A week later I received an invitation in the mail from the financial planner’s corporate office for this same event and a request to RSVP to someone I did not know. I called to ask my planner’ assistant if I needed to also confirm my attendance with this second person, she told me not to worry about it.

When I attended the event, there were so many people in attendance it was hard to breathe. We were seated at round tables and it was impossible for everyone to comfortably see the speaker and his presentation because not everyone could turn their chair in the direction of the podium. I had to inhale and push my chair into the dinner table in order to let waitpeople walk behind me. What happened? There was confusion about the number of people actually attending because there were multiple people in multiple offices accepting RSVPs.

Don’t let this happen to your seminar. Have one central place where all the information on RSVPs or registrations are kept and put one member of your staff in charge of keeping it up-to-date. If you don’t have available staff, you can invest in a registration system which allows you to set up an account and have people register for your seminar online. Or, if you prefer your attendees speak to a live person, you can use a 24-hour call center that has operators who can register callers, process their credit cards, gather information and answer questions.