Monday, January 14, 2008

Include a Follow-up Strategy When Planning Your Seminar

I recently attended a marketing event for speakers. I was very interested in a particular speaker and believed her services might be able to help me grow in some areas of my business. I spoke to her directly a few times and gave her my card. She did not call me until two weeks after the event. She had not remembered any of our conversation, even though she had taken notes on my business card. I confess that after two weeks, I wasn't as interested in what she had to offer as I was initially. At this point, it is highly unlikely that I will do business with her in the future.

In contrast, I also had interest in a program of another speaker. His assistant called me two days after the event because he was still traveling. She answered questions, gave me her contact information and was professional and friendly. Needless to say, I signed up for this program even though it was more expensive. Why? I felt they would value me as a customer and they were organized, professional and easy to do business with. This speaker had a follow-up system in place before he left his office for the seminar.

If you hold seminars to sell any services or products, be sure you have a well thought-out method of following up to insure that your seminar brings you the business success that you want.